Knock your guest's socks off with this yummy pavlova recipe!
- 6 egg whites
- 350g caster sugar
- 1 tbs white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs cornflour, sifted
- 1/3 cup (50g) icing sugar, sifted
- 600ml thickened cream
- 500g mixed berries
- 2 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar
- 300ml thickened cream (at room temperature)
- 1/2-1 tsp sea salt flakes, to taste
- Preheat oven to 150C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the eggwhite in the clean, dry bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed for 3-4 minutes to soft peaks. Add caster sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, allowing each to be incorporated before adding the next, whisking until mixture is glossy. Reduce speed to low, then add balsamic, cornflour and icing sugar, beating to combine. Spread mixture over the baking paper in a round or oblong shape, making a slight indent in the centre. Reduce oven to 130C and bake meringue for 1 hour. Turn off oven and leave meringue in the oven, with the door ajar, for 1-2 hours until cooled completely. Remove from oven and place on a platter or serving board.
- Meanwhile, for the salted caramel, combine sugar with 1/2 cup (125ml) water in a saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and cook, without stirring, occasionally brushing down the sides of the pan with a damp pastry brush, for 8-10 minutes until golden caramel forms. Remove from heat and pour in cream (be careful, as mixture will bubble, then seize). Return pan to low heat, add salt to taste and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- To serve, whisk the cream to soft peaks, then spread over meringue. Scatter over berries and drizzle with salted caramel.
Source: Delicious Magazine